Tuesday, April 24, 2012

C4T for 4/29

Ugly Learning by Brian Bennett
This post was about how Mr. Bennett was speaking on behalf of new teachers. He stated that we did not need to judge our teaching on our students grades. He says that we are stuck in a day in age where students want to be "pretty". Messy is bad in other words. Mistakes aren't good. He said that we needed to embrace the fact that learning is caused by mistakes. I agreed with him. We learn by trial and error. If we never make mistakes then we can never learn anything and we need to apply this with our students as well as our teaching. Making mistakes in our teaching can only make us more experienced teachers in the long run. 






How to Create an Effective Study Guide by Brian Bennett
This post was about how Mr. Bennet believes that to create an effective study guide we should allow for room for error. He gives a few steps to creating an effective study guide. He doesn't think that a teacher should give a grade for the study guide, but that it should be praised for being completed. He also thought that students shouldn't be given study guides to memorize that had facts, but one that encouraged analytical and critical thinking skills. I agreed with this because there have been numerous times when I have had a test and was given a study guide and I just memorized the whole thing. I never had to actually think about what I was writing, so once I got into college I was blown away at the fact that I wasn't going to be spoon fed anymore. I also love how he encourages mistakes. Mistakes are what help children learn, and when they make mistakes and they aren't totally blasted for it, then it teaches them to learn from their mistakes instead of thinking that the world over because they messed up one time. 
boy and dog thinking about study guide


No comments:

Post a Comment