Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blog Post 13


When I first read this assignment, I was not happy at all. I didn't think that there was any way that I could get by without using my cell phone, watching television, or using my computer or iPod(especially for facebook) for 24 hours. I didn't like the fact that this was an assignment. I didn't know how long I would make it either. I have a boyfriend who I don't get to communicate much with except by text messaging throughout the day because he has a full time job as well as children that he has with him every day. I also have a 3 year old that my mother keeps for me while I am at school. I didn't like the fact that I wouldn't be able to stay in touch with her throughout the day to see how their day was going. On the first day I made it a few hours before I gave in and returned a text. There is just no way that I could look at my phone and see that I had a text message and not return it. It was hard for me. So I started over. On the second day I did make it a little farther because I was home all day that day, but my son likes to watch television at night, so I gave in and watched a little bit of tv with him before he went to bed. My third and final day was so hard. I had made it so far the second day so I had to struggle through this last day. It really made me realize how dependent I am on technology. I am sad to say that I didn't make it through my final day either. I had to use my computer to check to see if some emails had come through because I had recently filled out some job applications. I was ashamed to find that I was so dependent on technology to get me through my day. I don't know what I would do if something happened to where we didn't have this readily available to us every day. I guess I would find other things to take time off of my hands. I think that when students arrive in my classroom they will sneak to use their cell phones(just like I have done numerous times). I think they will feel like I did these past three days. It's hard to not have the freedom that you want. I was used to using my phone, computer, and iPod on almost an hourly basis, and for me not to be able to do it felt awful. I think that I will be able to identify with my students more so now that I have done this exercise than I would have before.

2 comments:

  1. I think I could teach without technology. It would be hard, but I could do it. I am glad that I now know how to use much more technology than I did in the past because I will be able to relate to my students more than I would have before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your students, being even more connected to technology than you are, will EXPECT you to use it and if you do not you will not engage them as easily as if you do.

    ReplyDelete