Tuesday, March 6, 2012

C4T post 2

Think Thank Thunk: Standardized Testing Doodles

Shawn Comelly wrote about how his students had been tested this past week so he hand drew some pictures of a cell. At first he was just doodling, but once he began to draw, it became more and he eventually used it to become a full fledged lesson. I informed him that I was studying to be a high school English teacher and that I didn't think that I would ever be able to turn something like this into a lesson, but I would have appreciated a teacher that did this for me when I was in High School.

picture of cells that Shawn drew for his class



Think Thank Thunk: Dealing with the Fear of being a Boring Teacher

In this post Shawn wrote about how he believes that students are graded on what they don't know not what they do know. He believes this isn't the right way to grade students and that they should be graded on things they have been taught. "I have to get schools to stop grading what kids don’t have, and start recording what they do have." This was his quote. He also wrote that he believed in project based learning. I responded by telling him that I agree with this 100%. Students learn by helping each other. I am learning this as an adult in college because I didn't have much project based learning in High School."

No comments:

Post a Comment