Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blog Post 1 EDM310

My name is Brooke Ladnier and I am a sophomore here at South this year. I am a Secondary Education/English major and I am looking forward to being a teacher in the next few years. I would love to eventually get my doctorate and teach at a college level. I plan on being a High School teacher because I think that there are many kids that need that positive teacher that can influence their life in some way or another. I plan to be that teacher. I can still remember the teachers who had an impact on my life during High School. They were the ones who listened and actually cared about what was going on in my life. I plan on doing this with my students.

I am 24 years old and I have a son named Lane who will be 3 in April. He is my heart and he is another reason why I came back to school to finish my education. I attend church at Friendship Baptist Church in Grand Bay, Al(which is where I live also). I work with the High School youth group as a college leader at my church. These students have helped me tremendously with my decision to be a High School teacher. I have many family members that are teachers as well, so that has had an impact on my decision to be a teacher.

One of my main interests is reading, which I rarely have time for because I have a 2 year old, but when I do get a chance I love to read a good book. I also enjoy listening to music. My favorite sport is softball, although, I haven't played in a long time.

While watching Dr. Pausch's video, I learned a few new things. I found it very interesting that he said it was beneficial to make a "to-do list" and once you made that list that you should do the "ugliest" thing first. This makes sense once you think about it because I know that I don't want to do that one awful thing so I usually just put it off until the last minute. Which means I'm usually rushing to get it finished 30 minutes before it's due. I don't really have time management issues anymore since I've gotten older, but I do tend to procrastinate on things that I dread doing. I also liked how he said we should ask "Why am I doing this?" to everything on our list and then asking "What happens if we don't do it?" There are always consequences. "Doing the right thing adequately is more important than doing the wrong things beautifully" was my favorite quote of the video. When completing things it is more important to take your time and do them correctly the first time instead of waiting and doing them wrong.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Brook. I really enjoyed reading your bio blog and learning a little bit about your life. I bet your son is a wonderful blessing to you and your family. I also would like to be a high school teacher and football coach. I have actually been a teacher aid and coach for the past two years at Foley High in Baldwin County. This experience has really reinforced my passion for my pursuit of this endeavor. I noticed you said you liked to read. I like to read too. I recently read the Hunger Games Series, which I really enjoyed. What sort of books do you like to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A college teacher? I can recommend it. Most of the time.

    Welcome to EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evan! I have not read the Hunger Games series but I want to! It is just hard to find the time to do it. I am planning on going to see the movie, but as we all know, the movies are totally different than the books. I like to read all kind of books. One of my favorites is the Twilight Saga, which I think that is mostly a favorite among women these days! I have subbed a few times for a middle school here in Grand Bay where I live. I plan on coaching softball while I am teaching if I can.

    Dr. Strange...yes! A college teacher! I'm glad to be in EDM310!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is reading The Hunger Games right now and it's like she is addicted to drugs. The best part about this couple of books is, you read them cover to cover and you don't spend to much time. I was not a big Twilight fan. However, my wife has read almost all the Twilight books. I also can't wait to see the Hunger Game movies. I just hope they are not a big disappointment. Anyway, tell your boy a strange man from Foley says hi. All the best to you and yours!

      Delete
  4. I almost bought the Hunger Games book a few days ago, but I talked myself out of it. I don't have much time to read right now since I am in school. I hope the movie isn't a big disappointment, you know how the books are always so much better! I hope things go well for you this semester!!

    ReplyDelete